Science - Anatomy & Physiology, Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Physics, etc.
- Agricultural Science- AgriSurf - An extensive portal categorizing sites about all aspects of agriculture, including economics, the environment, technology, safety, management, and weather. Topic categories include livestock, aquaculture, organizations, forestry, and computing.
- Anatomy- Becoming Human - Outlines and updates the continuing study of evolution and the origins of man.
- Anatomy- Human Genome Project Information - Information about the HGP, which studies human genetic sequences and identifies the genes in the human DNA. Includes news of the project, a genetics dictionary, fact sheets, and teaching aides.
- Astronomy - Hubblesite - Includes an archive of press releases about galaxies, nebulae, the solar system, cosmology, black holes, and more.
- Astronomy - NASA Science - Provides news and articles of interest about how NASA is studying the earth, our solar system and beyond, and space exploration.
- Astronomy - Nine Planets: a Multimedia Tour of the Solar System - An overview of the history, mythology, and current scientific knowledge of each of the planets and moons in our solar system. Each page has text and images; some have sounds and movies; most provide references to additional related information.
- Astronomy - Solar System Exploration - A site from NASA with detailed information about the bodies of our solar system.
- Astronomy - Solar System Simulator - An interactive site to assist the user in visualizing and understanding the Solar System, its planets, and the NASA space missions.
- Astronomy - Space Today Online - An online news and history source about space, astronauts, space exploration, and the solar system.
- Astronomy - StarDate Online - An almanac of the night sky, StarDate forecasts events and phenomena visible with the naked eye or with a powerful telescope.
- Astronomy - Views of the Solar System - This site, from the Los Alamos National Laboratory, presents a multimedia site with graphics showing the characteristics of the Sun, planets, moons, comets, asteroids, and more.
- Astronomy - Your Sky - Get a map of the night sky by latitude and longitude or by city.
- Biology - International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources - The IUCN Red List of Threatened Species is widely recognized as the most comprehensive, objective global approach for evaluating the conservation status of plant and animal species. From its small beginning, the IUCN Red List has grown in size and complexity and now plays an increasingly prominent role in guiding conservation activities of governments, NGOs and scientific institutions. The introduction in 1994 of a scientifically rigorous approach to determine risks of extinction that is applicable to all species, has become a world standard. In order to produce the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species™, the IUCN Species Programme working with the IUCN Survival Commission (SSC) and with members of IUCN draws on and mobilizes a network of scientists and partner organizations working in almost every country in the world, who collectively hold what is likely the most complete scientific knowledge base on the biology and conservation status of species.
- Biology - NCBI Genes and Disease - A site from the National Center for Biotechnology Information that explores the link between genetics and disease in humans. Addresses topics such as the immune system, metabolism, the nervous system, and cancer.
- Biology - NOAA Habitat Conservation - NOAA's National Marine Fisheries Service is the federal agency, a division of the Department of Commerce, responsible for the stewardship of the nation's living marine resources and their habitat.
- Biology - Taxonomy - The National Center for Biotechnology Information advances science and health by providing access to biomedical and genomic information. The Taxonomy Database is a curated classification and nomenclature for all of the organisms in the public sequence databases. This currently represents about 10% of the described species of life on the planet.
- Biology- Animal Info - Provides information on rare, endangered and threatened species of mammals. Many photos are included.
- Biology- Biology Online - A portal providing links to sites about cells, genetics, toxicology, botany, and more. Also includes several tutorials and a dictionary.
- Biology- Biology Project - An interactive online resource for learning biology, developed at The University of Arizona. Categories include Cell Biology, Immunology, and Chemicals and Human Health.
- Biology- Center for Aquatic and Invasive Plants - From the University of Florida, the center provides photos and descriptions of many of the state's aquatic and exotic plants whose proliferation may cause changes in Florida's animal habitats.
- Biology- Electronic Zoo - A library of links categorized by type of animal, both wild and domesticated. Includes fish, primates, cows, dogs, etc.
- Biology- eNature.com - A site devoted to information about plants and animals. Aimed at the amateur observer, the site includes ask-an-expert services, a zip-code search, field guides, and habitat information.
- Biology- Entrez - The Life Sciences Search Engine - Allows the user to search multiple or individual databases of several excellent resources.
- Biology- Freshwater and Marine Image Bank - A collection of images related to freshwater and marine topics. It includes images of fish, shellfish, and marine mammals, pictures of fish hatcheries and dams and vessels, materials related to polar exploration, regional and traditional fisheries, and limnological (freshwater) subjects.
- Biology- Plants Database - This site provides standardized information about the vascular plants, mosses, liverworts, hornworts, and lichens of the U.S. and its territories. It includes names, plant symbols, checklists, distributional data, species abstracts, characteristics, images, plant links, references, crop information, and automated tools.
- Biology- University of Florida Herbarium (FLAS) Collection - A searchable database of ca. 30,000 of the 400,000 herbarium specimens on file in the vascular plant and bryophyte and lichen collections. The catalog is cross-linked with the University of Florida Herbarium Type Specimens Catalog where type details are provided. Digital images are available for selected specimens through the collaboration of the Florida Museum of Natural History / University of Florida Herbarium, University of Florida Libraries Digital Library Center and the Florida Center for Library Automation.
- Biology- West Nile Virus - A resource from the National Biological Information Infrastructure, the site provides regular updates on the spread of the virus, plus state and regional information. Links are also provided to organizations providing medical information.
- Chemistry- American Chemical Society - Publishes news and information about the field of chemistry in commercial, research, and educational applications.
- Chemistry- WebElements - An interactive periodic table of the elements. A basic chemistry resource.
- Ecology - Climate Ark: Climate Change and Global Warming Portal - Climate Ark is a climate change and global warming portal, search engine and newsfeed that promotes public policy that addresses global climate change through reductions in carbon dioxide and other emissions, renewable energy, energy conservation and efficiency, and ending deforestation.
- Enviromental Science - GOSIC: Gulf Oil Spill Information Center - University of South Florida Libraries with other universities created this guide to information and data on the BP oil spill and other’s world-wide. Expected to facilitate impact research for years to come.
- Enviromental Science - NRDC: National Resources Defense Council - NRDC works to solve the most pressing environmental issues we face today: curbing global warming, getting toxic chemicals out of the environment, moving America beyond oil, reviving our oceans, saving wildlife and wild places, and helping China go green.
- Environmental Science- Choctawhatchee Basin Alliance - Provides information about the organization as a grassroots environmental group formed to protect and promote the river and bay as resources for recreation and wildlife habitat.
- Environmental Science - Worldwatch Institute - Worldwatch Institute provides access to four well written and documented blogs on the environment: Revolt, Nurshing the Planet, Green Economy, and Transforming Cultures.
- Environmental Science- Beach Water Quality - NRDC (Natural Resources Defense Council) - Survey of water quality of U.S. beaches. This searchable site gives information on beach closings and level of pollution of monitored sites. It also contains good information on causes of beach pollution and what can be done to improve the water quality of US beaches.
- Environmental Science- Climate Ark - A portal gathering news, position papers, and documents about the effects of man's activities on the earth's climate.
- Environmental Science- Florida Red Tide Current Status - Red tide status reports contain information about current red tide conditions and include sample results, a map, and information links.
- Environmental Science- Forest Protection Portal - Gathers news, position papers, and online documents concerning the health of forests around the world.
- Environmental Science- Global Warming: Early Warning Signs - Created by a group of environmental organizations, this world map identifies areas that have been affected by global warming.
- Environmental Science- Gulf Coast's Ecological Heritage at Risk - A report about global warming's possible effects upon the Gulf Coast states, including Florida. The resource is a publication of the Union of Concerned Scientists, an advocacy group that comments upon global issues of health and the environment.
- Environmental Science- Gulf of Mexico Program - Showcases the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) environmental programs for the Gulf of Mexico. Materials include details of seagrass planting programs, invasive species monitoring, and overall water quality evaluation.
- Environmental Science- Harmful Algae Page - Presents research and information about Red Tide and other types of algae blooms that threaten water habitats and shellfish populations.
- Environmental Science- National Library for the Environment - A large site with reports on marine science, public lands, pollution, waste management, and climate change.
- Environmental Science- Oceanography Index - A nice overview of the science of oceanography with good explanations, diagrams and charts.
- Environmental Science- Seaturtle.org - Provides information and research towards the conservation of sea turtles in the world's oceans.
- Environmental Science- U.S. Global Change Research Information Office - Provides research and information about global climate change, including greenhouse gases, global warming, pollution, and climate fluctuations.
- Environmental Science- Water Quality Information Center - Provides articles and information about water quality as it relates primarily to agricultural uses. From the USDA.
- General Science - National Science Foundation - Science Nation is a weekly online magazine by the National Science Foundation.
- General Science - PhysOrg.com: Science, Physics, Tech, Nano, News - Comprehensive daily coverage of science, technology, and medical related news.
- General Science- Earth Science Virtual Library - An index to hundreds of website links related to Earth Science.
- General Science- Exploratorium: The Museum of Science, Art, and Human Perception - The site explores the science behind sight, smell, and movement. Special sections include information on space and the science behind sports, such as skateboarding and hockey.
- General Science- Internet History of Science Sourcebook - Addresses the history of science within its philosophical, religious and moral contexts from ancient and medieval times through modern history.
- General Science- New Scientist - A popular science site highlighting the latest developments in topics such as artificial intelligence, cloning, substance abuse, genetic engineering, climate change, and astrobiology -- the study of alien life.
- General Science- New Scientist Hot Topics - Several collections of past articles about subjects in the news such as terrorism, cloning, biotechnology, and artificial intelligence.
- General Science- PLoS ONE - An international, peer-reviewed, open-access, online journal publishing primary, original research from all disciplines within science and medicine, e.g.,
Critical Care and Emergency Medicine
Radiology and Medical Imaging
Provided by the Public Library of Science (PLoS), a nonprofit organization of scientists and physicians "committed to making the world's scientific and medical literature a freely available public resource."
- General Science- Science.gov - A browsable, searchable database for finding government sites about the hard sciences and technology. Topics covered include agriculture, biology, energy, civic planning, math, physics, computers, and space exploration.
- General Science- Scientific American - Online version of the popular science magazine. Although generally not considered a scholarly journal, the magazine does address developments in a variety of fields in laymen's language. A search is available.
- Geology- American Geological Institute - A portal that promotes geoscience education and strives to increase public awareness of the role geosciences play in society's use of resources and interaction with the environment.
- Geology- Geology.com - A portal to a wide variety of geology and earth science websites.
- Geology- U.S. Geological Survey - Information about the geology and geography of North America. Includes sites on earthquakes, floods, water quality, and natural resources.
- Physics- Physics Central - By the American Physical Society, the site teaches the public and beginning students about physics and its importance in the study of life and matter.