Home   |    Find Books, Articles, & More    |    Library Services   |    About the LRC    |    Research Papers   |    SLS1101 Quiz   |    Help
Ask a Librarian

LRC Hours

M-Th 7:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Fri 7:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Sat 9:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.


Edible Book Contest Winners

Reference Desk: 729-5395

Circulation Desk: 729-5318

More news...

PDF Icon Adobe Reader is needed in order to view PDF files. Most computers already have it, but if you don't, you may download it for free here.



about the LRC


Where is the Learning Resources Center located?

The LRC is located on the Niceville campus in Building "LRC". Click here for map/directions.

What are the library hours?

The current hours are listed in the right panel of most pages on this website, or you may access the "Hours and Phone Numbers" page in the horizontal menu above, under "About the LRC", or click here.

Where are the restrooms?

Restrooms are located on the first floor across from the Circulation Desk and on the second floor to the left (south) of the stairs.

How is the library arranged?

The library occupies the first and second floors of the LRC building. The Reference Collection, Periodicals Collection, Audiovisual (AV) collection, and the Circulation Desk are all located on the first floor. The Circulating Collection is located on the second floor, which is the designated quiet area of the library. Both the Reference and the Circulating Collections are arranged in accordance with the Library of Congress Classification System.

Where is the card catalog?

Gone. We use an online catalog that we call LINCC in its place.

Where do I check out library material?

All library materials that leave the LRC must be checked out at the Circulation Desk.

Can I check out magazines?

No. They are for room-use only.

Can I check out videos and DVDs?

We have two groups of DVDs.  DVDs that are specifically for class use, may be watched in the LRC, but not checked out.  We have duplicates of some of these DVDs and we have a growing section of just for fun DVDs in our Leisure Reading area.  DVDs in the Leisure area may be checked out for a period of 14 days.


What can I check out?

Books from the circulating collection, books and DVDs from the leisure reading collection, maps, sound cassettes, compact discs, and records are available for check-out.

How many books can I check out at a time?

A currently-enrolled Northwest Florida State College student may have a total of six books out at one time.

What do I need to check out library materials?

Currently-enrolled Northwest Florida State College students must present their student ID card, called "Raider Card," whenever they check out library material.

I want to renew my books, but I don't have them with me, what do I do?

You can renew your books online by accessing the "My Account" option through the LRC website, or by telephone by calling the circulation desk at 850-729-5318.

My books are overdue; can I renew them?

No. Once a book is overdue, it cannot be renewed.

I have renewed my books once already; can I renew again?

No, books are only renewable once.

How much is the overdue fine?

The overdue fine is 20 cents per book per day.

Do I pay my fine in the Library?

No, fines may be paid online through RaiderNet; in person at the Business Office located in the SSC building; or in person at any campus business office.

I have not had a chance to pay my fine and I really need to check out a book, can I?

No, until your fine is paid, you cannot check out books, get your grades, or register. If you pay your fine the same day, you will need to bring your receipt to the LRC to show proof of payment.

My friend checked out these books, and I'd like to have them now; can I?

No, books must be discharged from the current borrower and processed before they can be checked out again. You may place a request on the books on the LRC website.

What is the Reserve Collection and how do I use an item on Reserve?

Reserve Collection items are special items that do not leave the library so that an entire class will have access to them on a continuous basis. This collection is comprised of such items as books, solution manuals, practice tests, and articles. To gain access to these items, you will need to bring your student ID card to the circulation desk. Be prepared to identify the item by call number, title, course, or instructor as appropriate.

Where is the Map Collection kept?

The Map Collection is located on the second floor of the LRC.

What is the Vertical File and where is it?

The Vertical File is a collection of brochures, pamphlets, and clippings from local newspapers. They are arranged alphabetically by subject heading. Items in this collection are for in-library-use only.  These items are currently located in archives, please ask library staff if you need access to these materials.

How many public use photocopiers does the library have and how much does it cost to use them?

At present, there are 2 photocopy machines in the LRC. Black and white copies cost 10 cents each and color copies cost 25 cents each.  You must use your Student ID to pay for copies.

Where is the Reference Desk and when is it staffed?

The reference desk, which is the best place to start when you need help using the library, is located on the first floor of the LRC, and is staffed whenever the library is open. Reference desk staff may be away from the desk at times providing assistance to students. If no one is available at the reference desk, please seek assistance at the circulation desk where a librarian or senior library technician is available to help you.

Why do they keep some of the magazines behind the desk?

Some of the Periodicals Collection is a "closed stack" collection, which means that you must request back issues at the Circulation Desk.

Why does the library close at 5:00 p.m. on Fridays?

Current statistics for the LRC show that Friday afternoons are very slow periods. We have opted to be closed Fridays after 5:00 p.m. and offer Saturday hours instead.

Can I access the LRC databases from my home PC?

Yes. You will find the links you need under "Find Books, Articles, and More" category in the menu at the top of this page. Log in to LINCCWeb Databases by entering the student ID number on your NWF State College Student ID card (also called a Raider Card) in the Borrower ID textbox. Type in your PIN (Your default PIN is the month and day of your birth. For example August 5 = 0805). Choose Northwest Florida State College from the list of colleges and click on "log on".

Do you write term papers?

We are happy to help you with your research questions and to provide you with citation assistance, however if you need assistance with writing a paper we suggest that you contact the Academic Success Center.